Searching for the right wall covering or fabric when re-decorating can be daunting. There are so many options available how do you choose?
Consider the effect you would like to create.
- Relaxed and calming
- Vibrant and exciting
- A fantasy world to escape the boredom of the daily grind
- Fun and playful
- Quirky and interesting
- Modern and crisp
- Neutral, Natural and inoffensive
- A Vintage feel or historic era
What colours would help to convey the feeling you would like when you are in the room?
- Warm colours like red and oranges might be great for a room that gets no sun – if you want to create a feeling of warmth, passion or excitement.
- Cool greens and blues can be calming but can also feel cold if you choose the wrong shades
- Bright colours can be stimulating and fun and great for kids play spaces
- Clashing colour combinations can create a quirky modern look
- Neutral natural colours of greys, taupe, muted greens and shades of white wood give a natural feel
- The Lesson- always get a test patch of wallpaper as colours look different in different light and different rooms
Think about Texture
Wallpaper can be made from a wide variety of materials with a large variety of profiles.
- Natural Fibers – Grass Cloth , Woven linen, create a natural soft environment
- Silks – subtle texture and shine create a sense of luxury and elegance
- Gold and silver leaf – applied directly or impregnated into silks or papers give a sense of opulence and shine
- Flocking and velvet give a warm soft luxurious feel and add contrast in combination with other textures
- Traditional paper is often less expensive, but can be molded into wonderful shapes to give the impression of architectural wall paneling or geometric design for added dynamics
- Vinyl/synthetic coated wallpapers are hard wearing and suitable for kitchens or bathrooms or kids playrooms that might need regular cleaning
- Paintable wallpapers and wall panels give added dimension or historic touches that can be customised with your choice of paint colour
all come in a large range of colours patterns and price points!
Matching Fabrics for upholstery and Curtains?
- choose fabrics for curtains, soft furnishings and upholstery that are complimentary to your wallpaper design or vice versa.
- If you were inspired by a fabric – look for a wallpaper the does not clash – unless of course that is the look you are after.
- A good idea can be to pick up and carry through a colour that is common to both.
- Keep your eye out as many stores carry matching or complimentary fabrics and curtains.
- There are so many patterns available you are sure to find one just right for the effect and mood you want to create.
- Consider Murals for your wall either Tromp Loie, or photographic
- Not sure you want to commit? – go for removable wall tiles and create your own collage or pattern
- Below are some examples to give some ideas and some web sites to inspire you.
Image References & Web Sites